Live Create Believe

Just another awesome site!

The Magic School Bus Young Scientists Club – Bacteria and Fungi Kit Experiment 1

on April 8, 2013

20130323_183643

When we received our Magic School Bus Young Scientists Club Kit both of the plastic petri dishes were broken. There was no way to use them so I decided glass petri dishes might be a better idea. I found some on Amazon here: American Educational Flint Glass Culture Petri Dish, 107mm Diameter, 20mm Height (Bundle of 5) which are a good price and with my Amazon Prime account I get free 2-day shipping. I also called the Magic School Bus Scientists Club customer service and they even sent out replacement plastic dishes for us, which we will save in case we ever need them.

20130407_170449

On Sunday we got started with our experiments. Experiment 1 was simply preparing the agar to go in the petri dishes. I got together all the needed items for this part. Our kit came with the needed agar and bouillon so all I needed was a pot, my 2 petri dishes and a spoon to mix it. I added one cup of water to the pot, though the instructions had a misprint saying 8 cups (200ml). Obviously that was very incorrect!

20130407_170800

This is what the agar looks like mixed with the water before it started boiling. As my 6 year old said it, “It looks like dirt.” It kind of looks like muddy water.

20130407_171053

This is the agar after being boiled for a bit. As you can see it looks more clear and more gelatinous. The info says it won’t turn totally clear but it needs to be more translucent and thicker like wet jello. The yellow stuff above the spoon is where I poured the chicken bouillon into the pot. It was yellow and needed to be mixed it until it dissolved.

20130407_171257

This is the mix after everything has been mixed in and dissolved. It became a lot thicker and looked a lot more like jello. I let it simmer for a couple minutes just to make sure everything was fully dissolved.

20130407_171821

Lastly I poured the agar mix into the 2 petri dishes. This is what it looked like. We then put the lids on the dishes and set them to cool down before continuing with the next experiments. This concludes experiment 1! 🙂 Pretty simple start. These 2 petri dishes will be the main component to our next few experiments. Once they’ve started growing their bacteria and fungi I will the results share another post.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: